Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Refilling my well

I can't even begin to tell you how lucky and blessed I am in so many ways.  But one of them is that my mother in law loves to take Joe for a week in lufkin which gives Jason and I some time to "date" again or to do whatever... or basically to just have a week to focus on what we want to do.  :)  It also enables us to miss our little angel (and let me tell you... I canNOT wait til friday when I get to wrap my arms around that  bubba!).  :)  

But this past weekend, it was father's day, as many of you know...  and Jason had a trip planned with his daddy to the island.  He wanted to leave early to get his chores out of the way and then he could enjoy every last second with him.  

He headed out on Thursday morning for the island.  I worked all day, picked up Joe and we biked to the pool.  We had a nice nice evening.  :)  I got the two of us all packed up and we got to bed about 10.  Well he got to bed earlier than I did.  :)  

Friday, I worked all day and it was quieter than a church on mondays.  So, I headed out a bit early, ran past the house and then picked up Joe.  We drove to Lufkin friday night and got in in time to have dinner with Alyce Anne and enjoy a glass of wine.  Joe sang AA songs and entertained all of us.  We headed home and visited for a while.  It was a nice relaxing evening.  

Saturday morning, Joe and I got up... he got a chance to drive the jeep around. 
We are sooo very serious about our jeep driving.  :)
It was about 9:15 am and Joe wanted to go see his Papaw...  it gave me the perfect opportunity to make my exit.  I was driving to Port Aransas to meet up with my parents and it was about a 5.5 hour drive.  

We used to spend every fourth of July in Port Aransas and I hadn't been back since Joe was itty itty bitty.  And we hadn't been back since... just one thing after another and a move to North Texas... 

Oh my goodness... I look at that little guy and can hardly believe he's the one I have now.  :)  

anyway... I digress.  I got to the Aransas Pass and rode the ferry over and as soon as I opened the windows... I could smell the salt air.  Oh my goodness, did it smell good.  A giddy feeling washed over me.  You just don't realize how much you love it til you don't live near it.  

I arrived at Island Moorings and met up with my parents...  we headed to the pool.  Once there... I looked over and there was a gentleman sitting in the corner...  I finally asked...  are you the chef that used to be here?  He said, why yes... yes I am.  

Rick used to cook a blackened Grouper Sandwich and my dad would have eaten it every day for each meal for as long as Rick would cook it.  We chatted for awhile and recalled the last time we were there with a group and finally he suggested he could teach me how to make it.  We already had plans for Saturday night but it was a DATE for sunday night. 

Saturday night we were eating at Lisabella's... one of my favorite restaurants in Port Aransas.  Always fresh fish and their mermaid soup is to die for.  What is in mermaid soup you ask?  well, mermaids and secrets of course.  :-)  
 We had such a nice dinner though.  I had the Macadamia Nut encrusted Hawaiian Sea Bass with a buerre blanc and coconut jasmine rice.  oh my goodness was it yummilicious.  

I got to wear my fun skirt again...  love it!  

Sunday morning, I woke up about 7:30 and had wanted to go for my long run.  On the beach.  With the salt air.  :-)  I made it down to the beach and took off my tennis shoes and ran in the sand along the water line.  It was amazing.  I ran on my toes the whole way...  (the way you are supposed to), never felt hot and just absolutely felt my mind clear and my heart soar.  I wanted it to be my long run and it was.  I ended up doing 5.5 miles.  It got a little long at the end and I felt a wee bit light headed.. but invigorated all the same.  

Until I got back to the boat...  and my tummy started cramping.  :(  I think I overheated a bit.. . it did eventually pass but note to self... when running on the beach for the first time ever...  maybe a 2 mile run would be sufficient.  

One of dad's goals for the weekend was to take the boat out and offshore.  It WAS fathers day...  so this was the plan.  The water was green, the pelicans happy and the breeze was a blowin.  :) 

We got offshore and it was a bit rolly polly..  so we stayed long enough for dad to have a beer on the back of the boat.  :)  Then headed to Lydia Ann Channel to swim and float. 

The water was bath water warm and the current was CRAZY...  so we had to tie a rope to our foot so as to not float away.  :)  

even the pelicans were loving life.  
We boated back in and got cleaned up and ready for Rick to come over for dinner.  What an amazing dinner!  We had the chance to chat about restaurants and food and beverage.  Our favorite recipes and where he came from, etc.  I grilled some corn, had a tomato/basil/olive oil salad and then he taught me how to correctly blacken grouper or any fish really.  

What a wonderful weekend.  Joe was having a great time with his Bebe and Jason was having a great time with his dad.  And I had an outstanding weekend with my parents.  The long drive home on Monday (6 hours) was LONG...  but the weekend was worth it.  :-)  


Meg said...

What a fun weekend! I can't believe you ran 5 miles barefoot on the beach!! :)

Jess said...

I'm with Meg...5.5 miles in the sand sounds about impossible. Way to go girl! And how fun meeting the chef...you make friends everywhere you go!