Friday, October 24, 2008

Dear Joey...

So, tonight I was giving Sir cranky pants, aka, you... a bath after dinner and I sat there and watched you while you played in the bathwater. Oh how you love taking a bath... you play, make good boy sounds, you splash mommy and anyone within striking range and your infectious giggle just warms my heart.

So, tonight I just watched you for awhile. I looked into your beautiful gray eyes and watched your little pudgy hands and your kissable feet and I thought to myself... "I wonder what things you will see in your lifetime. I wonder what *things* you will touch and where you will walk to. What greatness are you in store for and what average things will you make extraordinary just because they are yours?"

And I know that you know how much you are loved (as evidenced by your mournful cry when I put you to bed that always makes me come back to you). I know that you are secure in your world and you are excited by every new thing that you discover (climbing in a chair anyone?). I hope you know that I fully believe in you and know that you will do whatever it is that you want to do.

My parents have always taught us that we could do anything... and growing up knowing that makes all the difference... how many children out there grow up wondering why their *all* just isn't enough? Those stories break my heart. Every child deserves to be loved. Every child deserves a chance, and unfortunately... some are just born behind the eight ball just because of who they are born to.

Now, I do want to tell you that you will go through hard times. Because those hard times are going to make you into the man you will become. If your daddy hadn't gone through some of his *adventures*.... he would never be the man that you and I love so dearly today. If I hadn't had my own adventures and trials and tribulations... now, how could I teach you that you can make it through? But, please oh please, even through adversity... know that you are believed in and you are loved above all else!

You can do anything you set your mind to Joe... as can be evidenced already by your strong will and your strong desire to overcome even the smallest obstacle.

Your daddy and I love you very very much.

Mommy!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

awwwwwhhh thanks for the tear Jess! You are such a wonderful mommy, Joey is so lucky to have you.

Delia said...

Aw, how sweet! By the way, I held up my end of the tag bargain.